Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

On the Baking Agenda

Since I have yet to finish the Etsy project, I've been hesitant to talk much about some of the side projects I'm picking up through word of mouth and lovely friends. As I'm thinking about putting together a brochure, though, I thought it might be a good time to mention them.

I have two (maybe three) weddings booked for this year. Think of all the cupcakes! All of them will be happening post-August which is a blessing as it allows me plenty of time to work on 1) perfecting my technique, 2) learning new tricks from Shannon's mom (a cake decorator by trade), and 3) testing recipes. It also means I have all summer to bake in my little kitchen without fear of a rapidly approaching deadline. Of course, I'm open to other projects, too, but these two (maybe three) are really taking shape in my mind.

The (maybe three) wedding will be sometime in the fall in sunny Florida. Tropical-themed cupcakes are dancing through my head much like sugar plum fairies. I'm sending a one sheet to them on Monday with prices and sample pictures. I will most likely be baking and randomly decorating a handful of cupcakes this weekend. I'm not sure what they're looking for in regards to decor, so I plan on showcasing everything from a simple piped cupcake to a slightly more difficult sugar-rolled and sugar-pearled piece. I'm sure Shannon will be super happy. He loves eating cupcakes!

My good friends George and Beth will be getting hitched on December 11, 2010. A clever date, if you ask me. 12-11-10. They've requested standard chocolate and red velvet cupcakes. Their colors are champagne and black. The reception will be in a speakeasy in downtown St. Louis, and I could not be more excited. I think I can do something really amazing with their colors and their thematic-by-happenstance setting.

My sister Tori and her fiancée Pam will be tying the knot on December 18, 2010 at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado.





Gorgeous, right? It's one of my favorite places in Estes Park. Grand. Beautiful. Haunted. You know, all the important things. Stephen King stayed here, and his visit inspired him to begin writing The Shining. It's a phenomenal book if you've not read it. I digress.

They will be tying their knot at the Stanley, and I am making cupcakes for them as well. Their colors are white and blue to reflect the snowy season of winter. No flavors have been requested. Snowflakes on the cupcakes are mandatory. I'm not sure how I want to do that just yet. A stencil and sugar? A candy melt snowflake? A bought/found snowflake object with sugar dusting? I do want to dye the cupcakes a pretty blue color and frost them in white if possible. And vice versa. The possibilities are probably as endless as the snowflakes themselves.

As of right now, that's all that's on the agenda. Well... I also have a baby shower to host in April (baby-shaped cupcakes and baby-themed cookies are on the agenda), and my parent's 30th wedding anniversary in June. Plus, I turn 30 in June - do the math on that one - so I will make my own specialty cupcakes for that day, too. Then I have my sister's bridal shower to host in November (monogrammed cupcakes and mini-cookie favors are a must).

So maybe that's not "all" that's on the agenda, but it's a pretty darned good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment