Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Homecoming of Sorts

I took a bit of a hiatus from Blogger for a few months.

It was intentional as I was starting a new blog, a new format, a new way of working within the digital writing world. You see, I wanted to focus exclusively on food since it's my passion and my stress reliever. I cook to release tension, go figure. Stress eating? Sometimes. Stress baking? Always. It's a good thing I like to give things away. Otherwise, the holidays would be even more of a nightmare. The point is, I thought it would be good to start things fresh in a new format.

What I realized is that I can't just write about food.

Of course, I enjoy writing about food and posting recipes for folks to explore. I like taking pictures of gooey cakes and sloppy kitchen counters. But, at the end of the day, I like a million things. I like the way the sun falls across couch in my living room. I like the way our new orange kitten purrs. I like daydreaming about painting the walls in a house I won't live in temporarily. All of these things are things I like and that I like to talk about.

I also like talking about the simple happiness in my life. I like talking about my husband. I like talking about our dog. I like talking about the Star Wars puzzle set I bought in the shiny collectors tin for $6 at Target. 

Frankly, I like to talk. I also like to write as if I'm talking. It's kind of what I do.

There are days when I don't want to write about what I made for dinner the night before because it really wasn't so good. There are days I'd rather write about how I met Maya Angelou and she was fabulous. Or maybe I'd like to write about how the wind was whipping my hair into my face when I was putting up Christmas lights and boy do I hate that because I said I would chop it all off post-wedding, but I still haven't done it.

So the idea of a food blog? Good. The productivity of said food blog? Not so good.

Which brings me back here to another incarnation of what I've already started. I'm going to do my best to pull some of those lovely posts and bring them here. Archive them. Share them. All the while, I'm going to be restarting what I should have just kept doing before. I'm going to write about my life - food, husband, work (in ambiguous ways that do not expose me for my day job), flyaway hair. All of it.

I called my food blog endeavor "A Little Something Sweet." I'm keeping that name here. Why? Because life is sweet. This is my little piece of sweetness, and I'd like to write about it, cupcakes to comb overs. Ponder that one for a while, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment