Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Maple-Bacon Whoopie Pies



I know, I know. I've been gone for a while.

In the time I've been gone, I've done a few things. First and foremost, I was officially reclassified at the day job. I'm now an Assistant Director. Super exciting for me. I'm pumped.

I also spent a weekend with my family at their lake property soaking up time in the hammock and fishing with the special man in my life. He's never fished. Teaching him to cast was a good time. The plus? He didn't once hook me. The  negative? We lost a few bobbers. Not his fault. Two of the victims were mine.

Oh. Oh. I also managed to sign up for a 10K in October. Yeah. A 10K. What am I thinking?

So, I know I've been gone. And I know that it sucks (for me at least) since I said I was going to do a better job about posting consistently once I opened up this here food blog. To smooth things over and (maybe) help you like me again, I'm sharing the most delicious dessert involving bacon that I've tasted in quite some time. No POINTS on this one. It's too good to feel guilty.

Maple-Bacon Whoopie Pies
from Whoopie Pies by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell

For the whoopie:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not fast-cooking)
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or nuts of your choice (optional)

Pre-heat the over to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Inn the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and both sugars on low speed. Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and beat until light and creamy, about another 3 minutes.

In a food processor, process 3/4 cup of the oatmeal until it resembles whole grain flour. Transfer the ground oatmeal to a medium bowl and add the remaining oatmeal, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the oatmeal mixture to the butter-sugar mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.

Using a spoon, drop about 1 tablespoon of batter onto one of the prepared baking sheets and repeat, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time for 11 minutes each or until the cookies begin to brown. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to finish cooling.

Makes about 48 two-inch cakes. Yes, that says 48.

For the maple-bacon whoopie cream:

4 thick strips bacon cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
2 cups confectioner's sugar
3 tablespoons heavy (whipping) cream
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon maple flavoring
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool.

In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar on low speed until combined. Add the heavy cream, sour cream, vanilla, maple syrup, maple flavoring, and salt and beat on low until smooth, about 3 minutes.

Using a wooden spoon, stir in the bacon until just combined.

And then...THEN...you spread some yummy filling on one cookie and top it with another cookie. You can use a pastry bag if you'd like (it's actually recommended), but I just used a butter knife. There was no time to wait.

The verdict? Delicious times ten. We even threw some in the freezer in a Tupperware container (separated by sheets of wax paper less the whoopies stick to one another) and ate them frozen. The best darned "ice cream" sandwich you'll ever have.

Even for breakfast Shannon says. Even for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment