Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Turkey BLTA



It's sometimes easy to forget that a simple addition to a common sandwich can make such a huge difference in flavor, texture and overall yumminess.

Take for instance how easy it was to make my favorite BLT into something a whole lot healthier and maybe tastier than the original.

Turkey BLTA
Serves 1
Points 4.5

2 slices low-calorie, high fiber bread
3 slices extra lean turkey bacon, pan-fried with non-stick cooking spray
1 Roma tomato, sliced
1 leaf romaine lettuce
1 tablespoon fat-free mayonnaise
1/4 ripe avocado

Toast bread lightly.

Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on one slice of bread. Spread the ripe avocado on the other slice of bread. Top avocado slice with tomato slices and lettuce. Top mayonnaise slice with three slices of crisp turkey bacon.

Sandwich together and gorge.

While I realize this recipe isn't really complicated, I wanted to share it. Mostly because I think it's so important to try new things when you're in a rut. Also because I think it's so much fun to use some leftovers to spice up your dinner. I had leftover avocado from some guacamole I made this weekend. Before it browned up, I thought I might put it to good use. I couldn't be happier.

I'm in love with avocado, so this makes perfect sense to me. It's just as yummy as a salad, too. Leave out the bread and you have a whole new way to enjoy your leafy greens. Tasty.

Next up with avocado? An avocado buttercream frosting. I know, sounds weird. I hope it tastes awesome.

1 comment:

  1. That looks tasty! BLT's are one of my favorite sandwiches, and I bet they would be very good with avocado. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete