Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce



I'm a sucker for a good strawberry rhubarb pie. Even though I know people are divided when it comes to the sweet and tangy pie, I'm an addict. When I lived in Rolla back in 2004, my favorite little mom and pop place, A Slice of Pie, had a mean strawberry rhubarb. I may have gained a million pounds going there. Maybe.

Since I try to avoid sticking pie to my thighs these days, I've had to find some way to get the same flavor combination with fewer calories. Luckily, I stumbled upon a recipe that does just that. It's as if the strawberry rhubarb gods were shining on me.

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
Adapted slightly from Weight Watchers.com
Servings 4
Points 1

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup rhubarb, frozen or fresh, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 dash cinnamon

Combine the water and sugar in a small sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and continue to boil for three minutes.

Reduce heat and add rhubarb. Simmer for three minutes. Stir in strawberries and allow to simmer one more minute. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and a dash of cinnamon.

You can serve this sauce however you'd like including straight out of the sauce pan. I prefer to drizzle mine over angel food cake. I posted that recipe earlier this week. How convenient, right?

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, rhubarb is just so good, especially when paired with strawberry. Ours is just starting to grow now, so I guess I'm going ot have to wait a spell before trying out this sauce!

    ReplyDelete