Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Coconut Key Lime Gooey Butter Cake



I'm beginning to believe that I have far too many weekends that don't seem like weekends. Once again, it's Monday, and I don't feel as if I've had a bit of rest over the last few days. Most likely, it's because I haven't. Between weekend working and rearranging the house, I've managed to pack in just about too much into each break in the work week. Thankfully, I had gooey butter cake to look forward to at the conclusion of this full weekend, and it delivered.

I felt as if the filling could have used more of a kick of lime, so I've upped the required lime juice in the recipe below. Feel free to adjust as you see fit.

Coconut Key Lime Gooey Butter Cake
Servings: 24
Points: 6

For the cake:
1 box white cake mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
1 egg
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1/2 cup sweetened coconut shreds

For the gooey:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Juice of two medium limes
2 - 3 drops green food coloring

Pre-heat oven to 350F.

In a medium bowl, mix together cake mix, butter, egg, and coconut extract. Do not add any of the other ingredients listed on the box. Once a sticky batter has formed, add 1/2 cup shredded coconut. Press into an ungreased 9x13 cake pan.

In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, eggs, and vanilla. When thoroughly combined add the juice from the two limes and the food coloring. Stir until combined.

Pour the filling over the crust.

Bake for 35 - 40 minutes. Allow cake to cool before dusting with powdered sugar and cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment