Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

PB&J Epic Fail Muffins

The joy in cooking is in the experimentation.

Sometimes everything turns out just as you'd like it to. Cupcakes are the perfect shade of golden brown. Frosting sits just right. Mushrooms sautéed in white wine are perfectly firm yet soft. Your pasta turns out al dente without any effort.The moments when all is right and good in your kitchen provide you the opportunity to puff out your chest and celebrate with a hearty toot of your own horn.

Other times, you fail. Or, as in tonight's experiment with Bisquick, you epically fail. Witness the epic and the fail.
 

This is not what I had in mind when I set out to create a quick and easy Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffin. Sure there is peanut butter (not enough to come through the Bisquick's battery flavor) and there is jelly (running away from the center of the muffin as fast as can be), but there is not a PB&J Muffin worth sharing right there. They taste pretty darned good (Shannon says I'm not allowed to post this unless I mention that they taste great and that I am awesome), but they aren't what I wanted.

 

In the cook's notebook, it's a failure, but so what.

 

I only expended about 30 minutes of my time, and Shannon has some snacks to take with him to work in his lunchbox. Sometime this weekend, probably Sunday evening, I'll make another batch using more milk (to thin out the batter a wee bit more) and a different layering technique. We'll see how it turns out - for good or for bad. 



The bottom line is that I'm not afraid to try something new, and I'm not afraid to fail in the kitchen. Anyone who is any good at anything started out with a few misses. Those of us that are continual learners know that we'll continue to make mistakes all through life. At the end of the day, though, it's all about the tries. And what a glorious try this happened to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment