Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Mexican Spice Pulled Pork


I have a character flaw which isn't a surprise of any sort worth mentioning. I'm well aware of the flaws I have, both minor and major, much like any and every other person I know. The particular flaw I've decided to highlight here, though, tends to be a bit pricy.

I have the awful habit of taking a piece of meat out to defrost and then forgetting about it. I don't mean that two days later a pound of ground beef will still be hanging out on my countertop. No, I mean that a week later a pound of ground beef will still be hanging out in my refrigerator, looking vaguely grey and somewhat squeamishly unhappy. To waste that kind of money is what I consider inexcusable. Especially since I've undoubtedly eaten since said piece of meat came out of the freezer to begin with. My ability to slack should not hold my wallet ransom.

It was no surprise, then, to find a pork roast lying in respite on the second shelf of the frig this morning. Still bright red with mottled white fat deposits, it looked happy enough. It looked as if it could sit there just a bit longer, and, because of that, it had to be cooked immediately. No more allowing my meat to degrade into inedible lumps of scariness! Thus, tonight's menu took shape in my mind.

Mexican Spice Pulled Pork

Serves 5
Points: 4 per 3oz serving

1 pound pork roast

1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp ground cumin

1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis
1/2 cup water

salt & pepper to taste

Rinse the pork roast well under cold water. Pat dry.

In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper. Rub the spice mix over the pork roast. Place roast in slow cooker.
Pour the diced tomatoes, brine and all, into the crock pot. Add 1/2 cup water.

Cover and cook on high for three hours before reducing heat to low and cooking another 2 - 3 hours. With two forks, pull tender meat apart. Remove any large, fatty deposits.
What you do with the roast after it's done is up to you. Toss it atop a mound of crispy tortilla chips with some cheese and beans to create nachos. Slap a spoonful (or three) on bun and make yourself a spicy, pulled-pork sandwich. You could toss together some lime juice, mayo, chopped peppers, and black beans to create a salad base upon which you could heap some pulled pork for a crisp cold meets spicy warm salad. It's up to you.

 

As for me? I chose to put together a little thing I like to call a burrito.

 


I have one word. Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment