Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Wee City Garden

I'm actually cooking up a storm this weekend, so I should have plenty of fun recipes (and photos) to share next week. It's my parents' 30th Anniversary on Sunday. I'm making them dinner. It's going to be lovely.

However, since it's Friday and I have yet to post any recipes, I thought I'd take you on a tour of my garden. My wee, city garden. Without further adieu, here is the garden.



Here you will see bell pepper plants. Bell peppers that refuse, despite my best efforts, to even attempt to grow big and strong. I'm not giving up on them, though. They're going to produce delicious, green bell peppers by the end of summer. I can feel it.



These here are my string bean plants. I've already picked a smattering of beans off the stalks. They're in the freezer. I'm going to keep adding to the bag in the freezer until I have enough green beans to make a giant pot of green beans and potatoes. Cook those all day long with a bit of bacon and you're talking dynamite for dinner. Really.



These are my brussels sprouts. I'm so excited to watch them grow. Sometimes I just sit and stare at them. I think they're such awkward plants. I mean that in the best way possible.



Hot banana peppers. These babies are already producing in mass quantities. And the peppers? Smokin' hot. I put some in a salad the other day, and Shannon asked me what was so dang spicy after about bite number two. I'm going to pickle some of these. I can't wait.



Out of control tomato plants. Really, really out of control tomato plants. I had to use multiple bamboo stakes to hold some of these bad boys in upright positions. They're monsters. They keep on growing and widening and attempting to recreate the Amazon rainforest within their depths. I actually had a tiny field mouse stare me from under their giant leaves while I was pruning them the other day. He scared the hoohah out of me. Luckily, he was cute enough that I got over it before I grabbed the hose.

Things are growing just fine and dandy. Plus we've had some good rain the last few days which means I haven't had to water. This is good because Conner likes to play with the water coming from the hose. In fact, he likes to try to bite it. Watering a garden is difficult when one is trying to keep said Scottish Terrier from destroying the fence or attacking the plants while chasing the stream of water.

My dog is special. Oh so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment